Sunday, March 15, 2015

"Ten Minute Block" quilt

     I have a pattern that makes large quilt blocks out of 10" squares of fabric commonly known as Layer Cake squares.  I thought I would give it a try but just had the above scraps in a drawer and they were only 4 inches square.  Sewed up great and then my imagination went a little crazy.
      In that same drawer, I found packages of 4" fabric squares that I had purchased years ago, don't ask me why, from EBay.  I got them all out and got to choosing what I thought would look good together.  Instead of having different fabrics as in the trial block, I chose 4 of the same and then a contrasting center.  I was thrilled with how it all turned out.  The instructions call for the edges of the center to be stitched down, appliqué or zig zag.  Because mine were so small, I skipped that because they got stitched down during the quilting process.
     I thought I was the luckiest girl when I could find fabric for the borders and binding at Hobby Lobby.  It was a great feat since the fabrics I used were so old.  The backing came out of my stash in the closet and I was very pleased with how it all turned out.  I have spent some cool evenings under this quilt this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment